Thursday, March 5, 2009

Thinking Foster


I have been thinking about doing foster care and foster to adopt! I know your thinking I'm crazy! I have been thinking about this on and off for two years! I have never done it because it is a little scary and because I have always been pregnant or with a new baby. I have a lot of people around me that are doing , or have done foster care/foster to adopt! They are not all perfect stories! I know there is a lot of heartache and frustrations involved with it!

But I also know I feel like we have so mush to give! My children are not perfect or do we have a perfect life, but I know there are children out there who don't have anything!

When I was a little girl I would watch those tv shows/commercials with the children in orphanges! I would lay in my moms lap and sob to her how that wasn't fair! "why can't we help them!"! I even get emotional thinking about kids who live or have lives like that now! I want to help!!!

Also, I have a family member who when we told ( a year ago, right after Lilly was born)that we need a break because we didn't think we could handle any more kids, said back to us that if they could do it again they would have as many as the Lord would give them!

I thought about that for a long time! My last pregnancy was really hard on me and our family! Dan and I fought like crazy! I needed My mom around 7 months because I hurt so bad and had trouble moving! So After Lilly came we knew My body needed a break and that I mentally couldn't handle being pregnant for a few years! We just figured no babies!

And then it happened as it always does. (This may not make sense for some of you) I felt like something is missing! Like were not big enough or that were not all here! (Ok the last one is what I feel!) Like all my kids are sitting around me and I think " We're missing someone!"! I know that sounds crazy, but I do!

For all of those freaking out right now that I have lost my mind, I have promised Dan ( who no, is not ready for this adventure yet!) that I would wait a least 9 months before we "talk" about it! I figure it takes 9 months to have a baby so I can at least do that!

That being said, I eat it, think it, breath it right now! I read about foster care in the newspaper and hear someone talk about it! I read it through friends blogs and want to know more! I just can't help but think about bringing in a child or children that I could help!

So to finish this; I know it is not always easy! There are a lot of vairable to each child and there conditions! But I also know My family has enough to give to a child that needs it! One last thing is I also know my limits! We would take in 1 child or 2 siblings at a time and no one over the age of 3!

So there you have it! Any advice or thoughts would be great!! Thanks for listening!!

3 comments:

Curley Family said...

I totally understand where you are coming from. I feel like there is a couple someones missing from my family. I am not sure I am ready for them now. I hope things work out for you.
If you are able to do Fostering that would be a great blessing. Good luck deciding.

Parkes Family said...

I feel the same exact way!!! I want more babies, but I know it's not in my best interest (or my family's) for me to get pregnant again) Go for it, I hope it works out!

Unknown said...

WOW! I should have known you would be thinking of this, but I have forgotten so much about the Sara I grew up with! :o

I'm glad you have set limits for yourself/family when it comes to foster's. I know with our experience in our home, my parents were very cautious and some how VERY lucky that we never had any problem with "perpetraters" (spelling?). That would be my biggest fear; letting some strangers (doesn't matter the age) into your home and then they "poison" the way I have so diligently raised my children.

I think the best way to avoid that is by keeping the age of the child down, therefore the length of time they have been exposed to someone else's beliefs/parenting style/habits.

I do wish you the best if you choose to embark on that journey. It is something I know I could not do, so I admire that you believe you can. :) You're amazing!