Monday, February 9, 2009

Making cookies is very dangerous! No I'm serious!!

SO yesterday, Sunday, had been a great Day! We had 3 extra kids at our house because there mom was at the hospital having a baby! They were perfect kids and we really enjoyed having them with us! We all went to church, which went great! Then we came home, got two babies to take naps, the other kids played, and Dan and I talked and made a very yummy late lunch! After that we watched Madagascar 2! We laughed and really enjoyed it! After that Dan usually makes cookies on Sunday so he of course offered to make them and of course as usual Emma helped! The rest of us scattered around the house playing, reading, emailing, and just relaxing! All of a sudden I hear Dan yell, Emma scream, and a loud thud from the Kitchen aid mixer (the big counter top mixer)! I jumped up and ran into the kitchen to find Dan holding Emma who is screaming! I all of a sudden look over at the mixer to see a HUGE amount of hair wrapped around the stem part of the mixer!!!! I screamed and yelled at Dan asking what happened (as I am grabbing Emma and running her upstairs so the other kids in the house don't see)! I sat her on my bed and started searching her head I was looking for a big open wound; you know blood pouring out, something graphic! Instead of that, I found a large section of her head where she had a few wisps of hair and the rest was completely gone!! I yelled for Dan to come and see what had happened! I forgot to mention that her head other than having a large bald spot was fine! A little tender I am sure, but no bleeding not even redness!! (See the Lords blesses even with hair!)Dan came up holding the hair from the mixer (it was a HUGE mass of hair!). He saw Emma and instantly started to cry! He had felt sick up until he saw her then He felt sick and horrified and completely responsible for his daughter being bald! He just held her while they both cried! After about 3 min. She had calmed down (not Dad!). I gave her some Tylenol for pain and an Ice pack which gave her a headache because it was "too cold"! After 10min she was laughing! Dad still wasn't even smiling!! They stayed upstairs to snuggle and watch TV while I went down stairs to explain to the other kids what had happened! SO what happened you ask? Dan and Emma were making cookies. Emma was sitting on the counter next to the mixer while Dad was telling her why we don't put our fingers in the mixing bowl (because it's dangerous!)! The mixer started to move a little (Rock) from the cookie dough (they were almost done!), when Emma thought she would lean on the top so it would stop moving (the very top of the mixer). When she leaned in her long hair went into the bowl and wrapped around the stem of the beater before dad could even say stop. In the first second he thought Emma was tipping the bowl over because it was falling towards her. Then he realized her hair was stuck! He pulled the cord from the wall and by then (a total of 5 seconds tops) her hair had been ripped off! He instant grabbed her in his arms to comfort her! That is when I rushed in! WOW! I should have prefaced all of this with Emma's favorite shows are cooking shows! Her favorite are Paula dean and Rachel ray! She will sit down for hours to watch them! She tells everyone she wants to be a chef when she grows up! So anytime you cook Emma (since she was 2) is right there to help! You have to beat her to get her to go away! And yes you constantly have to tell her to be careful or not touch when you are cooking! So her being there and that close is normal! The Funny part is she said she now hates the mixer and never wants to go near it again! Can you blame her?? After we all calmed down Dan and I agreed we would leave her hair long until the other stuff grew out! Emma and Aliya will get cute bobs this summer!! I asked if I could take pictures and she said as long as I showed them to her! So this is our beautiful little girl! Inside and out!























































5 comments:

The Jorgensens, said...

That is so CRAZY! I have worried about fingers in the mixer but not hair! Even with a bald spot, she still looks beautiful!

Life's Journey said...

Oh my goodness!!!! Poor thing. Sounds like you guys had quite the day. I'm so sorry but it did put a smile on my face as I read it. Love you guys. Thanks for sharing. Hope all is well.

Christensen family said...

That is scary! I am glad all is well, and yes, her hair is still as beautiful as ever. But I do always like to hear the ending of a good story... so did you get to eat the cookies, or was the dough completely ruined with wisps of hair????

Laura said...

Oh wow! That makes me sick to my stomach! I'm so sorry for poor Emma... and poor Dan! I can imagine how bad he feels. Uggg!

JFL said...

I'm never gonna let Dan make cookies with my kids!